Monday, November 28, 2011

One Mans Trash is another Mans Treasure

In the late summer flea markets were popping up like Starbucks all over the city. I haven't been to one since my Interior Design days, and with the space doubling in size we needed some additional fun pieces that were unique to us and what we could call "finds". We drove up to this huge warehouse and I was like a kid in a candy shop. I seriously think I may have left Chris looking for me at points. However we soon found that it was a dream come true for contracting type jobs not a "shopper". They had a lot of  vintage sinks, ball and claw foot tubs (so cool), crystal roaring 20's style chandeliers, door knobs and stove tops.... you get the idea. It would have been perfect had we been starting from scratch in a vintage style home. As we were getting ready to leave, we started admiring this vintage range top when I noticed this, what looked to be very old window type frame leaning behind the range. We pulled it out and sure enough it looked as though it was a window from a Church or larger structure ranging from the years of 1900-1940's. It was so filthy and dirty that I had to wipe off the dirt to look at the glass in the panes. Thats when we knew.... this was old, with the blown glass panes. I asked the cashier if she knew anything and she knew nothing. Chris was like "really Meg....What are you going to do with that"....Well he was just going to have to wait and see.  So $20 (for the window), a can of paint and a little Old English we now had a new but old unique find to hang in the new place..... And he loves it!!!

Im sorry I dont have the best tutorial on this project, but that is because the pictures were taken before I started this blog.
Basically how we found it
We bleached it down, and put painters tape around the window panes

Fresh coat of paint.... it actually needed 2

Once the paint had dried, we began the distressing process
 (please refer to a previous blog "Old to new then Old again")

Close up of the finished product (notice the waves in the glass) in the new home

Finished product.... excuse the Holiday Banner..... That blogs next
stay tuned



No comments:

Post a Comment